Friday, January 11, 2013

The Compression Garment

Today, I took off my compression garment, which we'll lovingly refer to as just CG from now on, to wash. I realized how important the CG is, and that I've never addressed it in one of my posts.

As soon as the surgery is over, and before you're even awake, your CG will be put on. It's kind of like a cross between spanx and a corset. It helps with the swelling, circulation, and to keep everything as compressed and in place as possible. For the first week or so, the CG will NEVER come off. It's kind of odd--you get very used to it and it doesn't even bother you. Once you have the ok from your doctor, you can take it off to shower and to wash it. It's very strange, because when you are actually able to take it off, you won't want to! You'll feel naked, vulnerable, and insecure without it! You will also notice that swelling will start immediately if you have it off for more than about 15 minutes. While walking around without my CG on, I honestly feel like my incision is going to rip open and my uterus is gong to fall out or something! LOL! I can't wait to shimmy back into that thing. It's my security blanket.

After 2-4 weeks, your doctor will let you transition into spanx. It provides the pressure and compression needed but not as much as the CG. I still have a little too much swelling to transition at this point. Hopefully, next week I will be able to though, because the CG is a pain to take off and on.

While I'm here, I will say that today is day 17 post-op, and it's the first day that I have really felt great! I am alllllllmost completely upright; I still walk with a slight hunch. My stamina had been good today, and overall, I feel great. My only complaint at this point is the slight swelling. Other than that, I'd say I've finally reached the downward climb in recovery :)


3 comments:

  1. Wow thank you for sharing your experience! I just finished having kids and I am thinking about getting a tummy tuck now! What are the advantages of this and how quick is the recovery?
    Holly James | http://www.kunkelplasticsurgery.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi everyone! Thanks for sharing. I had my TT one year ago this November. Post-op issues and pain, can't stand up straight, the drains, the initial scar and incision.I definitely think it was so worth it.

    Tummy Tuck in Manila

    ReplyDelete