Thursday, January 10, 2013

Money, Money, Money

So, this blog entry is kind of a two-parter. The first part is about money, and the second part is about wishing I would have never had this done.
 
 
Several people have asked me how much my procedure cost. Either because they are considering it themselves and no doctor will even give you a ballpark figure unless you come in for a consultation, or just because they are being plain nosey. :) I've been fairly private about the cost, but then I figured, 'You know, I searched high and low to find a true cost on the internet instead of just an "average". I wanted to know what people actually paid for the procedure. It was frustrating not to find the information.' So, for those of you considering and those of you nosey, I am going to tell you the cost.
 
Here is the breakdown:
 
Tummy tuck procedure:$ 6,000
Repair/tightening of the stomach muscles: $900
Liposuction of the lubar rolls or "love handles": $1200
Anesthesia fee and over night stay: $ 1200
 
Grand total: $9,300
 
Go ahead. Judge. Say it was a waste of money. That it's vain to spend that  much money on self-appearance. Whatever. The fact is, that's what it cost. The thing is, if you've have kids, there's no point in getting a tummy tuck without getting the muscles repaired. Then, you'll still have a "pooch" with tight skin instead of loose skin. So, you can't cut out the muscle repair. Then there's the love handles. Can you imagine how ridiculous you would look with a nice, washboard stomach and two big love handles on each side? I mean, what's the point? So, once again, a cost that you can't eliminate. Of course the anesthesia fee is necesssary, because you sure as hell don't want to be awake for the procedure! And because the surgery is so extensive, and to be honest, could have some major complications, you have to stay overnight in the hospital or surgical center. It's not optional.
 
 
I will say that we only paid $8,200, because our very nice surgeon gave us a military discount :)
 
 
I was going to make this entry a two-parter, but I think for now, I'll leave it at this. I'll do another entry later explaining a moment that I had where I honest to goodness had wished I had never had it done. It passed, but for the sake of sharing this whole experience, I'll tell the story....later.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this blog. When it comes to selecting a surgeon, I'll take skill over personality anytime. But the 1 million dollar question is - how do you assess a surgeon's skill?


    Tummy Tuck in Manila

    ReplyDelete