Monday, December 31, 2012

What's That Smell?

Today has been very interesting. I woke up feeling pretty good this morning. I actually slept throughout the night without waking up in pain! I even got up by myself this morning and went to the bathroom. I was very surprised that my night went as well as it did, because around 9PM I started swelling. My stomach as sides started swelling so much that I thought I was going to have to unsnap my garment so I could breathe. I drank lots of water before I went to sleep, and when I woke up this morning the swelling had gone down a little.

Since my surgery, I haven't been able to take a shower or a bath. I've been under strict orders not to remove my compression garment and to sponge bathe only. This morning, however, something had to give. I could literally smell myself. I was stinky. The medications that I'm on have caused me to be super emotional, so once again I started crying. This time, it was because I smelled like funk. Shane calmed me down, wrapped saran wrap around my garment and tubes and helped me to the bath tub. With just a little water in the tub, he scrubbed me down, then got me out and dried me off. Then I got on my knees and leaned my hair over the tub, and he washed it for me. By the time the ordeal was over my incision was KILLING me. It was burning like someone had poured hot coals into my compression garment. Shane got me back to the recliner, brushed and dried my hair for me, and then snuggled me up. He gave me some medicine to help the pain ease off, and as I was drifting off to sleep, I opened my eyes to see him dabbing a little bit of my favorite perfume behind my ear. I smiled and he said, "I just want to help you feel as pretty as you are."

I've read a lot online about other people's tummy tuck experiences, and a lot of people claim to be off their pain meds by day 3 or walking around with no issues by day 5.  I must just be a slow healer or something. There's no way I could completely come off my pain meds right now or walk around effortlessly. It still leaves me breathless just to walk to the bathroom! I'm supposed to start my new job on Friday, and I honestly don't know if I'll be ready by then. If I am anything like I am today, I just can't do it. I think I'm going to wait until I go back to the doctor on Wednesday and see how that goes. If need be, I think I might call and see if I can start on Monday instead of Friday. I don't want to jeopardize my new job, but I don't think they would be very impressed if I collapsed on the first day either. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment